Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Journal#4

Zhiqian Huang
Journal 4#
Engl 101C
I am a Chinese, but I am studying in the United State. I have been here for four months. I have already learned a lot of things about the U.S culture. The U.S culture is the typically western culture. It is totally different from the Chinese culture. Sometimes, when I meet something, I have the different angel to think about this thing. Then, I found that people in the U.S have different behaviors to communicate. So, I want to learn the different communicating behaviors, because communication is very important, you can live without communication, and we should use the right and polite ways to communicate with other people.

In order to learn this thing, I talked with my roommate who is native speaker. He told me a lot of things which I did not know before. He said that when people talked with each other, you should respect their private things; you could not talk about something about private, such as women’s age, salary, marriage, partisan and religion, because if you talked these things, people will think you are very rude. That’s very terrible. My roommate also told me that when I talked with American, you should not mention something. For example, “13”, Friday and Black cat, all of them are unlucky in the western culture. Another thing what my roommate told me is the voice when you talked with other people. He said that when you talk, did not speak too loudly, because it would sound like quarrelling and yawping. People will think you are a very underbred person. So, we should speak quietly, especially at the public place

From my roommate, I have learned a lot of things about the ways to communicate. They are very useful and important for me. Due to the difference between the western culture and the Chinese culture, they have different way to communicate; now, I have learned many things about them. So, they can help me to avoid embarrassed things when I talk to native speakers

No comments:

Post a Comment